Thursday, May 6, 2010

God Shows No Favortism...Should We?

This past weekend in Tennessee, we were bombarded with torrential rain and it caused massive amounts of flooding throughout the state. Hundreds upon hundreds of people have lost everything they owned. They have been displaced and have no idea when they can return to their homes and assess the damage. Will they rebuild? Where will they go? When will their children return to school? Do they have a job? Will they be able to contact someone to help feed their families? These are all legitimate concerns when you are faced with a catastrophe such as this.

I have come to realize that there is one common link which connects each and every story of loss portrayed daily on the news. Every person shown, male or female, rich or poor, mansion or shack, Democrat or Republican, married or single....all are God's children. Each person, whether they have watched their million dollar home fill with water or their trailer float away...they have lost everything. Especially at a time like this, I am humbled to know that God shows no favoritism. When one of His children are in pain, I truly believe that it grieves Him too!


I read something this week which rocked me to the very core of my being. The week before the flooding, we had a tornado touch down in a city very close to us, which happens to be the hometown where I grew up. There was a lot of reporting done on this and right on the heels of that, news coverage on the flooding. This was a status on one of the social networking pages....as a christian, this disturbed me deeply:

"Do reporters get a bonus for finding the most backwoods and uneducated people to comment on tornadoes and flooding?"

I found it rather interesting that this came from a law enforcement officer. Someone that has sworn to uphold the law. To protect and to serve. When we look throughout the Bible, God called the uneducated to serve. He never looked at their degree or pedigree. He didn't call the equipped. He equipped the called!

I applaud the reporters that go to all corners of this great state of ours. Thank you for showing those who come from humble means. What they have lost and the struggle they are up against to start over. God loves each and every one of the humble....they will inherit the earth.

"God has shown me that I should not call anyone common or unclean." Acts 10:28

I've struggled all week with what to say or do about how this particular posting tugged at my heart. A year ago, I prayed and asked God to break my heart with the things that break His. Apparently, He has answered that prayer. If you get a chance, go down into the areas that are being overlooked. The flooded trailer parks and small homes that are deemed as shacks. Go and talk to the people that have lost everything and let them know that there is hope. Hug them and let them see the light of Jesus through you. I can promise you this....they will NEVER forget that small act of kindness and neither will YOU!

A huge thank you to all of the very professional law enforcement officers, firemen and women, EMT's that risk their own lives daily for those they do not know personally...could care less about their geographic location in life....YOU are all the unsung heroes and we love and appreciate you!

No comments:

Post a Comment