Sunday, March 21, 2010

Losing Myself In Scripture

I recently finished a book that I have said to many...has been "life changing." I am NOT going to give the name of the book or the author's name, merely because I have not been led to write this blog to sell a book. God has been spurring me on for a couple of days now and the more I procrastinate, the louder He speaks to my heart.

I have been riddled with insecurity my entire life. As my husband and I have been discussing this very subject over the past few weeks, I have gone so far as to say..."I cannot remember a time that I did feel secure." So, for a book to be written by another Christian sister, and it being placed in my hands at a time that I was feeling very insecure....I totally call it a "God Thing." Then, to read and begin applying the scripture that was in the book and to feel, for the first time in almost 46 years of life, chains breaking that have had a firm grasp...yes, I love the book! To me, it does not matter who wrote it. It could have been Jane Smith (just a random name I chose) from Nebraska (sounds like a nice homey state, right?)that I had never heard of and I would have read this and if it lined up with scripture and moved me....I'd be singing the praises of the aforementioned Jane Smith. It just so happens that the book I chose was not written by a Jane Smith from Nebraska...she was a little more well known. So what?

The point I am making is this...the book worked for ME! I loved it! I get up every morning and I thank God for placing this book in my hands and for helping me to see what HE sees in me. I thank Him for giving the author the words to convey HIS message. Is every woman in this world insecure? NO! Praise God for that! I was. I am not now! My prayer, after having read this particular book was "Lord, if there is another woman that feels the way I have for their entire lives...place this book in their hands and let them lose themselves in scripture the way that I have. Let them see what YOU see in them."

Earlier in the week, I was told that by reading this book and it meaning so much to me in some way has made me forsake "the TRUTH" and to be perfectly honest...for a minute (and I gave it NO more time than that) I felt some righteous anger. How dare someone try and steal the joy that I found in this book. I truly felt attacked. Then...a marvelous thing happened. I went for a drive and I needed some uplifting music....so I blasted beautiful Mandissa. Never gonna steal my joy! What a powerful song! Just read the lyrics!


I look at my life
And I still can't believe it
How did I make it
To where I stand now?
You don't understand
I was up against the whole world
And all I could feel was it breaking me down
But out of a hopeless situation
There came a song of redemption

Life may push my heart to the limit
But I won't let go
Of the joy in my soul
'Cause everything can change in a minute
And the world may try
But they're never gonna steal my joy

So get up, stand up
And rise above it
If every plan
That you've made goes so wrong
You don't have to give in to the struggle
You may be down
But don't stay there for long
In every hopeless situation
There is a song of redemption

The world may say
You're never gonna make it
The world may say
You're not strong enough to take it
But I don't care
'Cause the joy of the Lord is real
And they're never gonna steal my joy

I came home and sat down to read my Bible...THE WAY...THE TRUTH...AND THE LIFE! Once again...God came through and placed HIS WORD, before my eyes....something that I desperately needed to read and apply to my heart. I realize that the things that I say and do are a direct reflection on the God I serve. I try very hard to refrain from negativity because it is a tremendous waste of energy. I want to build up and encourage. If there is a fellow christian, brother or sister, that is out there trying to make a difference in the life of others...I want to applaude them. They do not need that from me, because as all of us truly grounded in our faith know...we are building rewards in heaven.

"No good tree bears bad fruit, nor does a bad tree bear good fruit. Each tree is recognized by its own fruit. People do not pick figs from thornbushes, or grapes from briers. The good man (or woman, my words)brings good things out of the good stored up in his (HER) heart, and the evil man (woman) brings evil things out of the evil stored up in his (her) heart. For out of the overflow of his (her) heart his (her) mouth speaks." Luke 6:43-45

God, ever the gentleman that He is, gives us all free choice. That is nothing new. It started with Adam and Eve. When something or someone tries to steal my joy...whether it is from reading a book and learning and breaking free of strongholds that have held me captive for too many years...or living my life the way that God has shown me is the right way.....I am just not handing it over.

"The thief comes ONLY to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they my have life, and have it to the FULL." John 10:10 (emphasis mine)

Noone can STEAL my joy! Nobody KILLS the joy God gives me! And I certainly refuse to allow my joy destroyed! When I feel that it is happening....I simply lose myself in scripture!

No comments:

Post a Comment