Thursday, March 4, 2010

Adoption vs Giving Birth

As most of you know, I am the mother of a beautiful little girl that I adopted at three months old. At that particular time in my life, I had two children that I had given birth to....Ryan 18 and Zach 14. There were so many people that called me crazy that I lost count. Afterall, in their minds....I was turning 40 that year and my kids were at an age where they could do a lot of things on their own. Why in heaven's name would I want to start all over with the midnight feedings, colic, diapers, teething and potty training?

The only response that I ever gave was..."Look into those big brown eyes!" I never thought about all of the things mentioned before. I felt incredibly blessed to hold that sweet little bundle at night as she drank her bottle. I got to smell that beautiful baby scent of baby lotion and powder right after a bath. I was welcomed every morning with a great big toothless smile. I was enjoying watching as she took her first steps. For every negative someone would give me...I came up with three or more positives.

I loved being pregnant as much as any other woman. I found out I was pregnant and was overjoyed...both times. I had morning sickness and even though that was tough....I knew that at the end of the sickness, there would be a healthy baby to hold. I gained weight and I have to say, it did not bother me. I knew what the outcome was going to be. When labor started, I physically felt ever single pain as I delivered both of those kids naturally...and one of them just happened to weigh 10 lbs! But, I would gladly do it all over again to have my wonderful kids.

With Nevaeh....it was different. Another woman carried her in her womb. At three months old, her biological mother decided that she was too young and asked us if we would adopt her. At that very moment....Nevaeh was conceived in my heart. When I conceived Ryan and Zach, I knew that nine months from that day....I would hold my little boy or girl in my arms. No one would take them from me. They were MINE. While pregnant, I was in total control. I could feel them move within me. I carried them next to my heart...literally.

When you adopt a child, there is so much that you go through that is beyond your control. It is like getting on a roller coaster that constantly goes up and down and there are even times during that ride that you just close your eyes, hold your breath and pray the ride is over soon! To be perfectly honest...giving birth was a lot easier. I had to work very hard for Nevaeh and I would do it all again in a minute!

I have been privileged to become acquainted with a family on Twitter that are adopting a little girl from Ethiopia. As I share in their journey, I am reminded of how very blessed we are to have our little girl. Michelle...this is a journey and at times it feels like it is never ending....but when your little angel is with you and your husband and beautiful boys....it will rank right up there with giving birth...because, after all, when you have gone through the adoption process...you have conceived, carried and given birth to a dream!

No comments:

Post a Comment