Saturday, February 9, 2013

Love Letters

As we draw closer to Valentine's Day, many women are getting that downright giddy feeling of anticipation. "Is he going to send me flowers?" or  "Will he pick out a beautiful piece of jewelry?" or even, "I hope he remembers!"

Valentine's Day is a special day for many. It is the "official" day of love. I have a dear friend that said something years ago that made me see this holiday in a totally different light! I worked with a young man named Michael and he lived with his single mom and two sisters. They were and continue to be a loving, close knit family. As Michael and I were having lunch so long ago, it was almost Valentine's Day and I asked him if he was going to be doing anything special for his mom and sisters and I will NEVER forget what he said.

"I like to do special things for my mom and sisters all year. Valentine's Day is just a day on the calendar for loser guys that don't do nice things for their women all year long." I  had to admit, he was right. I do love Valentine's Day, mostly through my daughter's eyes....she lights up when she gets flowers delivered. Even so, her Papa does special things for her all throughout the year.

This week, I received a Love Letter a little early. I opened the envelope and it was a single sheet of notebook paper, handwritten, all in red ink and it is and forever shall be a cherished treasure. The first part of the letter was from my mother and it reads....(anything in parenthesis or capitalized is Mom's):

To My Baby Girl Julia Whom I'm so proud to say, "I'm Julia's Mom. Please always remember that! This should probably be taped to your bathroom mirror where you could read t everyday.YOU may not realize it Julia, but it is 100% true.

1. There are at least 2 people in this world that would die for you.
2. At least 15 people in this world love you in some way. (many more)
3, The only reason anyone would ever hate you is because they want to be just like you. (oh yes!)
4. A smile from you can bring happiness to anyone, even if they don't like you.
5. Every night SOMEONE thinks about you before they go to sleep.
6. You mean the world to someone.
7. You are SPECIAL and UNIQUE!
8. Someone that you don't even know exists loves you.
9. When you make the biggest mistake ever, something good comes from it. (Right?)
10.When you think the world has turned its back on you, take another look! (A loving command from Mom)
11. Always remember the compliments you received. Forget about the rude remarks.

God loves you Julia, and so does your Mom, very much. God Bless. Now start and continue to write. You have much to say and give through your writing.

And then at the bottom, yet another love letter:
Good morning Julia, this is God, Creator and Owner of the entire Universe. I will be handling ALL your problems today. I won't need your help. Ok? So go have a nice day.
Love,
Your Father God

After I finished reading this my heart was so full. All of the love that my mom has for me, she wrote out on paper. It means so much in this particular season of her life because mother is getting older and she tires easily, has arthritis and sometimes it's hard for her to write. I realize that there is NOTHING that I really want or need that could top what mother gave me for Valentine's Day.

I pick up my Bible and read and study each day because my mother FIRST did the same. I go to church and serve God because my mother did FIRST. The first LOVE LETTER I ever received was that little rainbow Bible placed in my hands with Jesus sitting on a stone with all of the little children  gathered around Him.

So, as Valentine's Day gets closer and closer.....many men will find themselves out searching for just the right gift and I know that their wives or girlfriends will love and appreciate whatever was chosen for them. As for me, I will read and reread this love letter from mother and when I see that red ink, I will think of Christ, shedding His precious blood for me. I will hug the Scripture closer to me....because It is and forever will be the greatest Love Letter ever written!


No comments:

Post a Comment