Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Teach Us All Lord

The majority of the time, I stay away from commenting on political issues...I have learned, especially after this presidential election, people can be VERY serious about their politics. The truth is, I couldn't get on Facebook even one day, for the better part of last year, without being bombarded with attack ads on both candidates and it always bothered me. The naive child inside of me just wanted to see a nice, clean well run election....no arguing, just their individual platforms and then allow each and every person to go out and rock the vote!

Well, it didn't happen that way and I made the mistake of making a comment on a post and it caused what I considered an all out "free for all." So, I stepped away and have been very careful since then.

However, I find myself in a territory again that I don't enjoy visiting...but sometimes, it is a necessity. If I have learned one thing, I do not act or react based on MY own feelings. I do give the Holy Spirit full control though....a lesson that took many years to learn. Obedience to my God is way more important to me than how any human being feels or thinks about me. That being said, brings us to the here and now.

I was reading some posts on Facebook last night and as always, there are several thing posted that I just pass without even bothering to comment. (Holy Spirit at work again, let me tell ya!) But, then I come upon a picture that I see...and I continue to look at it and read the sign the man in the picture is holding. I struggle with what my soul is speaking to me.....but, I have also learned to "wait upon the Lord" because I have noticed when I shoot off at the mouth, I tend to make a mess of things. The sign the man was holding read:

"Don't spread my wealth...spread my work ethic."

I sat for several minutes after having read it and did a little inner battle with the Holy Spirit, because I just thought "God is on the throne....He can handle this." And then it just didn't go away.....that is how I always know that I am being prompted to write...and I never feel they are my words, but His!

Personally, I feel that this statement goes against EVERYTHING that I believe in. Before I get mauled to death....understand I am not saying for anyone to go out and give away everything that you have. I do get that people work very hard for their money. That said, we are not all given the same chances in life. There are people struggling with drug addiction. Do we know why? What is their story? Were they abused? Did they grow up in a home where drug use was an everyday occurrence? We have single parents living in public housing with children. Some are bettering themselves by attending college and working toward a goal, while others are trapped in the never ending cycle of poverty they were raised in. WHATEVER the reason someone is not as fortunate as me is a non issue as far as I am concerned.

You see, years ago, I was one of those women. I lived in public housing. I was on food stamps. I was on government insurance. I struggled to make ends meet. I had lost my job, my home, my car...everything. I was married at the time and my then husband had lost his job too. There were times that I took my little baby I had adopted and cleaned apartments that people had abandoned in housing, just to take money off of our rent for the month. For me, it was a "stepping stone." I had lived in a nice home, had a good job, worked hard and had a nice car. My kids had, up until that point, had a pretty easy life. I had EXPERIENCED first hand, what life could be. Sadly, others are not as fortunate.

As a child of God, I take it to heart when I read "From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked," (Luke 12:48) I am assured that everything I have was given to me from Christ. We must always remember that anything and everything we have, we did NOT acquire it on our own. I hear so many people say "Oh yes I did! Through hard work sweat and tears....I earned every single thing I have."  I am not disputing that you worked hard....but as a christian, we are given gifts and talents. If you have a strong work ethic, GOD handed that down to you...maybe it was through your parents. Perhaps it was from another adult that took you under their wing....but YOU didn't get their on your own strength and merit alone.

Scripture also tells us that God loves a CHEERFUL giver. I love to give. I have no problem giving until it hurts. I was on the other side of having "plenty." It taught me to not only give, but to reach out to others that are less fortunate....and when we reach out brothers and sisters....reach out with your hearts. When we are really looking to help others...we will do it in a way that allows God's children, made in HIS image, to retain their dignity. We never should do anything for another human being for the sole purpose of shining among men...if you do that, you already have your reward.

Yes.....the sign in the picture "Don't spread my wealth...spread my work ethic" touched a very sensitive spot in me. Maybe this man will be moved by Almighty God and say to himself...."I am not going to wait for someone else to teach my work ethic...I am going to go out there and look for ways to encourage, build up and help someone that is less fortunate. I will teach them what it means to have a strong work ethic."

 “Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.”  That is a beautiful Chinese proverb I have read many times over the years. It is very true. If I were to make my own sign and hold it up for the world to see, I think it would say this....wish I could take credit for these words, but the God I serve said it:

"The KING will reply, I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for ME!"

No comments:

Post a Comment