Friday, February 15, 2013

Loving Lent

For the last 4 years, I have given something up for Lent. Having been raised in the Baptist Church, we did not observe Lent in the same way  the Methodist Church does, where I find myself presently. The first year after Ken and I got married, I didn't "observe or participate" in Lent because I felt I had already given up something....being a Baptist! However, the next year I found myself eager to give something up. That first year, I gave up chocolate. Anyone that knows me knows that I am a lover of ALL THINGS CHOCOLATE! The next year, chocolate again! I really do love my sweets, but I am not sure that it felt like a huge sacrifice to me. Last year, I gave up ALL sweets and I really thought I was giving up something major.

This year, I went in a different direction. I am always striving for a deeper, closer relationship with God. I never want to stop growing in that relationship....the most important one I will EVER nurture. So, this year I asked God to speak to my heart and let me know what He thought I should give up. I was very surprised by what He laid on my heart (and so quickly too!).

I have given up Facebook for Lent. I didn't go into this lightly. I love Facebook for a lot of reasons. I love to read all of the encouraging things my friends post. I love scriptures that Ms. Helen puts up every single morning. I love seeing pictures of my grandchildren. And, just to be completely honest, I love Bingo Blitz. But, I have given it up for these 40 days and I am okay with that!

After our Ash Wednesday service at church, I was happy to see that once we got home, I didn't begin to suffer any Facebook withdrawals. I didn't get on the computer at all. I found myself studying the Word more. I am reading the books that I have bought for inspiration and encouragement. I am digging so deep to figure out who God wants me to be. I am talking to my Father in heaven a lot more.

Yesterday, I took my 9 year old daughter to two different nursing homes and she handed out her hand made valentines. The smiles on the faces of all those precious senior citizens warmed my heart and thrilled Nevaeh. We stopped at an apartment complex and she went to the door to give a couple of women her valentines and they hugged her and thanked her profusely. Our last delivery was to my little granddaughter Riley in Clarksville and then we had lunch together. We discussed why we give up things for Lent along with a myriad of other topics.

As we were returning to Erin, Nevaeh asked me if her Papa would be home when we got there. Ken had been at a meeting and then had some Valentine deliveries of his own to make in Clarksville, so I told her he would not be home for awhile. She seemed saddened by this. She then dropped a bomb on me. "I really wish Papa was going to be home. I really want to go to the park and I know you like to rest in your room in the afternoons." WOW! Usually, after we home school, I do retreat to my room for some alone time and I am usually on my computer on......you got it, FACEBOOK!

When we did get home, Nevaeh went upstairs and I sat in my recliner thinking....this is the time that I would probably be on facebook, reading and responding to posts. But at that moment, God spoke to my heart and told me, "Take your daughter to the park!" It was a lovely day, the type we do not often see in February. I called her down and when I said "Let's go to the park," she was overjoyed. We walked hand in hand to the park and played for an hour and then over to the library.

Last night, before Nevaeh went up to bed, she brought me a little Valentine bag. Inside there was a beautiful handmade card with the red ribbon I had put in her hair that morning. She had put a red heart sticker on the outside and on the inside she wrote...."Thank you mommy for making this the best Valentine's Day ever!" She also included a valentine sucker (since you did give up chocolate too, mommy!) and a little plastic heart that had a little silver bracelet in it of hers.

Moments like that come along rarely in life. When your child, gives up their "treasures" for you out of love, you see God in those moments. I would have missed that and more yesterday if I had ONLY given up chocolate.

Every year, Lent becomes something MORE for me. This year, yes, I gave up two things....Facebook and chocolate. But, it is NOT really about what you are giving up....it is about what you gain! I thank God for all He is showing me and what is yet to come.

Even though I will share my blog and all of my friends and family will see it from Facebook, realize that I am not on there. I am really going cold turkey here.....I am loving Lent!

No comments:

Post a Comment