Thursday, September 3, 2009

Angels I've Entertained #1

Carolyn....was an angel to me and became God's angel March 6,2008

I was very blessed to have known Carolyn since I was a child. She worked in my dentist's office and I went to school with her daughter Beth. Beth and I were good friends in elementary school and in 4th or 5th grade, we went to see the play "Wind In The Willows" together.

When I began coming to EUMC in July 2007, I hadn't seen Carolyn in years. She came and spoke to me at church and I had the distinct impression that I knew her, but had no idea how. When she told me that she knew my mother and that I had gone to school with Beth, I was so happy that now....I knew someone in the church!

When Ken and I got engaged, we knew that we were going to be married out of town in a very small wedding of family only. We planned to have a reception the following week at our new church as we wanted to include our new church family. Carolyn was the first person to offer her assistance. She always seemed to have boundless energy. I called her my little firecracker. She was always happy and had this beautiful smile. More than anything, she loved her family. She was especially proud of her three girls. She always had a story for me about her girls or the grandchildren. Simply....she just loved life.

My favorite memory of Carolyn was of mine and Ken's first Christmas together as a married couple. I was putting up our tree one night before Christmas while Ken was teaching a Discipleship Class. As I pulled out all of the decorations, I realized that these were all Ken's ornaments. As I opened each little box and took out the ornament, it saddened me because these were from another time...before me, before "us" as a couple. I was hanging all of these ornaments and they meant nothing to me. There was no little story that sprang to mind as I uncovered each decoration. Nothing was "ours."

The next morning, Carolyn dropped by with a gift and we chatted for a few minutes and she went on her way. After she left, I decided to go ahead and open the gift and not wait until Christmas. I unwrapped the gift and pulled aside the tissue paper and as I looked at the gift, I cried. Inside the box was a beautiful glass snowflake ornament that had imprinted on the front...."Our 1st Christmas Together." I actually picked it up and kissed it and hugged it to me. I hung it on OUR tree immediately. I have no idea what Carolyn was thinking as she bought the ornament...but, it meant everything to me.

Carolyn found out soon after, that she had cancer. That fighting spirit took over. She was scared and readily admitted it, but she was by no means, giving up! The church rallied around her and that first Sunday after it was announced, there were many that stood in line waiting to hug her. She gave great hugs!

We lost Carolyn in March 2008. My heart broke for her all of her family, but especially Beth. She is my age. We graduated from school together. It made me aware of the fact that my own mother was aging and we just never know how much time we have left together. Carolyn left behind a husband that had already lost one wife to cancer. Wherever you saw Carolyn, Gary was by her side. Her three girls and grandchildren. How blessed they all were to know her and love her.

Carolyn....in memory of you....I took a walk with my husband the other day and held his hand for the entire three mile walk. I called my oldest daughter just to say I love you and I am thinking of you! Today, I am thanking God for the family He has blessed me with. I am going to make time for them and love them.

Thank you God...for sending this angel into my life at a time that meant so much!

2 comments:

  1. Julia, Carolyn was my best friend. We've been through so much together and she was so happy for me when I met David, we got married and I moved to California. The separation was so difficult for the two of us and she would always end our telephone conversations with, "I cannot wait for you to retire, come home to TN and us have our talks again". My loss was unbelievable, I'm in CA, she's in TN, I can't help her or the girls! She left her legacy, a legacy of love, giving her friends just what that need when they never even knew they needed it.

    I'm so happy that she brought something to your life during the Christmas holiday. I had just come home with the birth of my first grandson, she came for a visit, just after the biopsy. The rest is history, but you can never close the door on Carolyn. She will live forever, love forever and forever live in all of our hearts!

    Thanks for including her in your blog, what a tribute to a most AMAZING WOMAN!

    Susan Jenkins

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carolyn was a special person. One of the best mothers I've ever known. I am friends with her daughter Beth and I know how much they loved one another. Beth is surely following in Carolyn's footsteps. She loves her family fiercely and I know her mother is proud of her. I'm a mother,too and I hope I can be half the person Carolyn was for my daughter. If I can give as much to Jordan and have her be the daughter I know Beth has been then I will feel grateful for having known Carolyn well enough to see exactly how the very special mother-daughter relationship should be. She has been an inspiration to me as a mother and I thank her often for that. I am only one of countless people I know whose lives were touched by Carolyn and made better.

    Renee

    ReplyDelete