Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Angels I've Entertained #2

Miss Sara...was an angel to me and became God's angel July 17, 2008

We've all heard that dynamite comes in small packages. Never has this been more true, than when anyone was blessed to meet and become acquainted with Sara Dickson. She was a precious little elderly woman that stood perhaps 5 ft tall (and that might be stretching it!) Sara was never married but one would never dare to call this dynamo an "old maid" or "spinster." She taught Home Economics for many years at the High School. She lived out in the country and when confronted by a pesky possum or some other varmint, she didn't run screaming in the other direction. The majority of the time she caught the said pest and while she did not kill it, she did trap it in the trunk of her car and take it "elsewhere." Someone told me of a time that she had caught an intruder and stuffed it in her trunk, intending to set it free up the road, but suddenly had taken ill and drove herself to the ER. Once inside she was told she would have to stay overnight, so she immediately dispatched someone to check on the status of the critter trapped at her mercy. I'm not sure how that turned out, as I never asked!

The first time that I actually had the opportunity to talk with Miss Sara, was when returning from dinner out with my husband, there was message on our machine telling us that Sara was in the ER and she was alone. I decided to go there and be with her. This was a first for me, as I always accompanied my husband on hospital visits. I went in and she seemed so happy to see me. I sat on the stretcher next to her while she waited to get the results from blood work. She had struck up a conversation with the young nurse and found that they shared something in common. It seems that the nurse had played basketball in high school and her team had won some sort of championship. Little Miss Sara says, "I played basketball in high school. I was a guard and I was rough!" She almost growled the word "rough." I believed her!

After the doctor came and Sara had inquired about his land and family....he told her that she had pneumonia and his first instinct was to keep her in the hospital. Promising she would go home and stay in, he ordered a shot and when the nurse came with the injection, I stood to go outside of the curtain to give her privacy and as I turned to tell her of my intent, she had already dropped her pants. I immediately turned red and said "Oh.." to which she replied..."Ahhh, you have the same thing I have, mine is just older!" A beautiful friendship was started!

I'm sad to say that I did not get to have a lot of time with Miss Sara. However, the time that God allowed our paths to cross, gave us time to love each other and form a bond that I still feel to this day. I was blessed to have known her. There are many things I could say to sing her praises, but I will leave you with this....Miss Sara made the best Christmas muffins I have ever tasted. They were tiny little muffins that were pretty to behold...perfect in size and shape and had this tangy taste. When you started eating them, you weren't satisfied with just one. One always left you wanting more. Just like Miss Sara.

Miss Sara, in memory of you....recently, the people across the street moved abruptly and left 7 cats stranded. 5 were kittens and the other 2 adult cats. I am terrified of cats...but, I went and bought cat AND kitten food and bravely walked across the street and fed and watered them. I just did not have your gumption to trap them in my car and take them elsewhere.

Thank you God, for sending me this little dynamo angel that I so dearly loved, even for this short time.

No comments:

Post a Comment