Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Angels I've Entertained

As a pastor's wife, I have tried to be as open and honest as I can concerning the ups and downs of being thrust into a life that I had no idea of all it entailed when I married my husband. At times I have struggled with things and there have been other times that I feel, God has given me the grace to rise to the occasion. There are so many blessings that come with being the wife of a minister. I am able to be at my husband's side when visiting at the hospital. I am able to sit on the front pew every Sunday as my husband delivers the message that God has laid on his heart. I have been blessed to be able to give the children's message every Sunday morning, as my husband proudly looks on from behind. Finally, as we move into our third year of marriage, I am feeling confident enough (through God only)to take on a Sunday School class of teenagers. I can truly see and feel the areas that God has helped me to grow in over the first two years of our marriage.

Sadly, there is one area that I do not like and I still struggle with on a daily basis. Funerals. I love getting to know everyone in our congregation. As I have met each person and gotten to know them as days go by, I learn little things about their lives. What their personalities are like. Who they are married to. How many children they have. Their proud faces as they tell of their grand children's accomplishments. Funny stories of when they were younger. All of this I truly treasure and love.

However, as in all things, nothing lasts forever. Going into the church for the first time, I was scared to death. I wondered if any of them would like me. I worried that I would never be able to put a face with the name. Surely they would take one look at me and realize immediately that I was just not Preacher's Wife material! That did not happen. I was welcomed with open arms. When I made mistakes, they were and continue to be patient. I have loved and been loved in return many times over. The only trouble with this is....when these precious loved ones go on to be with the Lord, I am incredibly sad, not only for myself, but the family they leave behind.

Last week, we had to say goodbye yet again to a very special man that I have loved so dearly since first laying eyes on him. Tom Brewer. After his funeral, I came home and I was just so sad and a little upset with God. He had taken so many from us in the short two years we have been at this church.

Carolyn. Mr. Paul. Sara. William. Rusty. Helen. Marilyn. Betsy.

These are just names to people that never had the pleasure of knowing them, but to me...I have decided that they are angels that God had on this earth. The Bible speaks of entertaining angels. "Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some people have entertained angels without knowing it." Hebrews 13:2

When my husband was placed at this church, all of these wonderful people were strangers to me and I to them. As time has gone on, I have gotten to know them and they have known me. In many ways, these people have touched my life. Instead of allowing myself to feel saddened and depressed over their passing, God has laid upon my heart to tell about each ANGEL that I've been blessed to entertain. They have all become family to me.

For the next few weeks, I plan to blog about these uniquely special people one at a time. I want you to get to know them through me. My hope is that you will take the time to stop and think of those that have made an impact on your life, big or small, and acknowledge them in some way. I pray that the people I am writing about, knew that I loved them and even though I miss them, I celebrate their life!

Thank you Lord, for all of the Angels that You have sent my way and continue to send... I pray that I entertain them in ways that glorify You!

No comments:

Post a Comment