Tuesday, September 21, 2010

The Child's Mite

Sunday mornings are such a busy time in our household! My husband tries to get up before anyone else and go over his sermon in solitude. Just as I have a strict routine during the week with my daughter...Ken is in his own zone for most of the morning. Being a pastor, he has to be in tune with God at all times, but Sunday mornings he prays even more and listens even closer. So, it is left up to me to try (and sometimes I fail, but that's okay!) to keep things running smoothly and allow him to do "his thing."

I like to have all of our clothes picked out by Saturday night for church on Sunday. Less scrambling and decision making at the last minute before church. I lay my husband's suit, shirt and tie out while he is showering, so that is one less thing he will have to do. This is something that is not expected of me, but that I enjoy doing. Before I ever even start to get myself ready, I get Nevaeh all dressed and lay out her Bible, her offering and a canned food that she takes each Sunday to give to our local food pantry.I then focus my attention on my Sunday School teaching materials, making sure they are in the bag. I check to make sure all of the necessary items needed for the children's message are in the bag too. So, as you can see, there is a lot to do to actually make it all run smoothly and get us out the door by 9:30 a.m.

On Sunday, I was a little behind schedule, so Ken went on over to church. I had everything ready to go out the door and the only thing missing was my little girl. At the last minute, she had turned and ran back upstairs. I have to admit, I was getting a little impatient. When she returned, she had a few dimes and pennies in her hand. I snipped that I had already given her a dollar for her offering and she said "This is in case some other kids don't have offering mommy!"

For a minute, I thought that the other kids would think it was silly that she was handing out pennies or dimes. I hurried her along and got to church and she went her way and I went mine. I teach a Sunday School class for tweens. As Sunday School started, I took up offering. I was just about to seal the envelope when one of the tweens that comes to church alone says "Wait a minute Ms. Julia...I have offering." She reached in her purse and groped around until she pulled out a dime. She smiled and said "Nevaeh gave me this before church."

I have to say, I was one proud mommy! God spoke to my heart through those two little girls. One a 7 year old, the other a tween. He spoke to my heart even more when I got home and went into my daughter's bedroom and noticed her pink piggy bank lying on the floor and empty. It wasn't a lot that Nevaeh had in that bank...but it was ALL she had and she gave it so willingly.

I thought of the check that I had given in church that day. Funny, I think that Nevaeh actually gave more that day! Remember the widow's mite?

1 comment:

  1. Love that little girl of yours.....what a sweet spirit she has. We learn more from our children sometimes than I think we even teach them!

    ReplyDelete