Wednesday, September 29, 2010

An Answered Prayer Reminder


In June, my little girl had her tonsils out. It was something that needed to be done for awhile. Nevaeh had been plagued with strep throat so often that if she went for a considerable amount of time without a sore throat, I began to worry!

We had a friend whose young daughter had her tonsils out several months before Nevaeh. I grew increasingly apprehensive as her mother told me of the complications that her little girl had suffered. Throwing up, bleeding, pain...all things that no mother wants for her child. My husband and I prayed every day leading up to the tonsillectomy. We prayed for NO complications and that our child would get through this with little or no pain, no throwing up and no bleeding! I trusted that God would get us through this.

Nevaeh was scared, but each day we had prayed together boosted her confidence that God was going to see her through this. As she awakened after the surgery, she smiled at us sweetly. She immediately drank the ice water the nurse gave her. She accepted a Popsicle and was excited to get to ride in a wheelchair out to the car. Before leaving, the nurse gave us a little dish in case she threw up and assured us it was normal. She even loaded us down with extra tissue in case this happened on the way home. Needless to say, she never threw up once before, during or after having her tonsils out.

The other night as Nevaeh was getting out of the bath, I was picking up her toys scattered in the tub. There was the little throw up dish and I said to her, "We really should throw this away. I didn't realize you still had this." Nevaeh looked at me and said "Mommy, I like it. I want to keep it. I never threw up in it." I knew this, but still saw no reason to keep it. When I saw it, I was immediately taken back to the day of surgery and the soreness after having her tonsils out and her little face so sad....but, she didn't feel that way. I asked her why she wanted to keep it." Her answer, as always floored me and made me look at her little "throw up bowl" differently.

"Well, we prayed I wouldn't throw up and I never did. So, when I play with it, I know God helped me not to throw up."

I was looking at this object and remembering that my baby had surgery and was in pain...Nevaeh saw it as a reminder of a prayer answered!

No comments:

Post a Comment