Friday, September 17, 2010

It Just Sounds Prettier

Every night in the Wallace house at 7:00 p.m. sharp, the bedtime routine begins! My daughter and I go into the den and she reads to me from her school reading book, the story for that particular week. She will lay her head on my lap, rests the book on her bended kness and begins to read. I usually stroke her hair and just generally put my other arm around her. It is one of my favorite times of the day and I look forward to it.

This week, we have been reading the story "Tara and Tiree" which is about two dogs that save their master's life when he falls into the frozen lake near their home. One of the things that Nevaeh does each week is...she will ask one question at a particular part of the story and I will answer it and from that first day on, like clock work, when she gets to that part again...she will ask the same question! Every night. She knows that the answer will remain the same, but she asks every single night!

As we were reading on Wednesday night, she came to that part and asked the question of me yet again. I thought I might try a different approach, so I said to her "You know why the man was afraid for his dogs. Why do you think?" She thought for a minute and then she looked at me and said "I know the answer. It just sounds prettier when you say it."

After the entire nightly routine was completed....she reads to me, I then read a chapter of a book we are reading, we watch one episode of "Family Affair" in her bed snuggling, Papa reads the Bible story and then prayers and lights out...I went back downstairs and kept thinking of what she had said.

I have read the Bible for years. I know what is in there. I also know that all scripture is God breathed. Every morning and several times during the day, I reach for it and long to hear the Words that my heavenly Father spoke. I nestle in with my Bible and for a period of time, I feel, I suppose, the same way my daughter does each night when she is snuggled in my arms and we are together. Questions come to mind and He hears the same questions I ask over and over and even though I know that the answers remain the same....I just like hearing Him....because it just sounds prettier when He says it!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Julia,
    I finally made it over to follow you. Sorry it took so long. Hope you have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tonya, thanks so much for the follow. I love to write and just pray that it will mean something to others! I hope you have an amazing week too!God bless!

    ReplyDelete