Saturday, January 19, 2013

Facebook Saved Me From Acting Up

Well, it has happened! I know this is going to surprise so many of you....but it has happened and while I feel some shame....I feel more relief than anything else.

I woke up this morning and my first thought was...time for my Bible and coffee. I DID indeed get the coffee, but instead, (here comes the shame) I reached for my computer instead. That alone did not bring about shame, because let's face it....I can read the Bible online, right?

The shame came about when my husband, whom I love with all of my heart, was faced with unpleasantness first thing this morning. Women, we all know that when our husbands are upset or hurt, we feel the same. When he came into our bedroom, ever so calmly (something I love about him and something I resent because I lack it) to discuss this with me.... faster than a speeding bullet, I started spouting off at the mouth. He listened to me with his ever present self control until finally I exhausted myself and he left the room. (He totally understood my frustration by the way!)

I began instant messaging my daughter in Ohio, the one person that can make ANY situation seem funny. I had actually posted something on facebook and she was a little curious. She let me talk.....roles do reverse as we age. She brought so much comic relief and then mercy of all mercies happened. Someone that lives quite a distance from me reached out.....this person spoke words of wisdom and understanding.

After speaking with my daughter and this other wise soul, I scrolled down and started reading all the things posted on my facebook wall. The FIRST thing I found was from my boy, Joel Osteen:

"When you allow what someone says or does to upset you, you’re allowing them to control you."

Bang! Right between the eyes. Shame was starting to rear its ugly head....and then immediately following it was a post by Joyce Meyer....and we all know how much I love and repect her:

"Humility requires discipline of the tongue."
  
But, I am not humble, Lord, I whisper in my little, teeny tiny voice!  To which He replied without missing a beat....."Because you haven't tamed that tongue yet Julia!"

And then, I came across a beautiful picture that Pat Hatfield, a dear friend posted that really made me STOP and talk to the Lord"

"I will let Christ put my broken pieces together today.
I do not need to fear anyone or anything.
I will refuse to let anxiety rule over me.
I will let Christ control my life.
I will trust Christ completely.
I am unconditionally loved.
I will let my worries go and
I  will sing praises to HIM who gives me strength.
Thank You LORD!"

I realize that social media can sometimes cause all sorts of drama and silly things.....but, there is so much encouragement and love posted daily. Today, I thank my Ryan, my miles away buddy, Joel Osteen, Joyce Meyer and Pat Hatfield for inspiring me and reminding me that God can handle anything that comes my  way! Facebook actally saved me from acting a fool today!

And yes....tomorrow morning, reaching for the Bible first.....Facebook can wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment