Sunday, January 20, 2013

Humility.....A Lost Art?

Sometimes I really hate it when I am wrong! What I detest even more is when God convinces me of it for hours on end, until I am willing to let go of anger, resentment and a myriad of emotions that can at times, flood my soul.

Yesterday was such a day for me. For years, I have been plagued by what can only be described as an evil spirit inhabited in an earthly body (not my own), and I am happy to say, for the most part, I have been rather blessed to be able to ignore and pray my way through such unpleasantness. But, as we all know, the prince of darkness is always skulking about, just looking for a little crack that he may slither into and begin his work of destruction. There is NOTHING that Satan loves more than to bring division in families, set friend against friend....or just take that one person that has made it their life goal to make others lives as miserable as their own.

It is a fact that the last three weeks have been rather trying times for me. Three surgical procedures in the same amount of weeks. Healing. Awaiting tests to confirm or dismiss the presence of possible toxins. Any one of those things can deplete a person of faith, hope and/or a good attitude. The Bible clearly tells us, "Our struggle is NOT against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms," (Eph 6:12) After a trying day yesterday, I am more convinced than ever that there are indeed people with evil spirits walking among us and I am equally sure that there are angels also walking among us as yet again, the Bible tells us...."Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some people have entertained angels without knowing it." (Hebrews 13:2)

We may not always know what an "angel" looks like, because the Bible tells us we could be hanging with one, being kind to a stranger and just possibly passed some time with an angel. Sadly, we all seem to be able to pick up on what evil looks like. We see it daily in people's character. It is shown to us through actions. In the opening, I shared with you that someone with an evil spirit has relentlessly set an agenda and tirelessly worked it for years.....and yesterday, for JUST a moment, I gave in to it and decided it was high time that I threw a little of the evil back. (Oh no, NOT the preacher's wife! I told you, I am HUMAN!)

The fact of the matter is this....the momentary "high" of finally letting go of my animosity was fleeting. I lay awake in my bed most of the night praying....chatting with my best friend.....my Daddy.....my God. He didn't admonish me! He didn't try to shame me. He just spoke ever so gently to my soul. He understood what I have endured for the last several years. If anything, He comforted me more and more as I prayed to Him.

By the end of my hours long prayer, I realized that I would never be on a level playing field with this person that has and continues to reek havoc and destruction wherever the wind carries them. How can I?  My thoughts are above....they are not of this earth. I don't have an agenda. I strive to please God. I want to embrace humility. It is NOT about ME! It is and forever will be about my Lord and Savior. So, what do I do in the meantime? I suit up. I put on my armor. I pray deeply for this person. Christ took away my license to judge. If I am to truly be humble....then it all begins with me. I, with God's strength, begin to focus on changing me!

I was wrong yesterday to engage someone that obviously is a tortured soul. But it is more than my admitting I am wrong. It is not about thinking less of myself, it is about thinking less about myself.

This is what I know. I am a child of the King. I have royal DNA flowing through my veins. My body is a temple of the Holy Spirit. I have everything that I need to face each day. GREATER is He that is in me, than he/she that is in the world.

I will NOT waste time engaging hate, bitterness, anger.....I will love everyone. I will pray daily for those that are less fortunate and when I say this, I mean those that do not have the peace that surpasses all understanding. I will be ME. The me that God has made....and by His love and grace, anew each day, I will continue to seek humility.











No comments:

Post a Comment