Thursday, January 24, 2013

God Is Trying To Tell Us Something!

Living in a small town can be an almost magical experience. I am blessed to live in the little town of Erin....Houston County, in Tennessee. We have a lot of "Irish Pride."  Our Irish Festival is second to none. We have two traffic lights in our little town and they are a block apart. Everyone knows everyone. The little kids that are in elementary school now, have teachers that their parents grew up with. It is really idyllic.

Recently, our little town has suffered some mighty big tragedies. The first happened a little over a week ago. It will be a time I will forever remember, where I was, what I was doing. I just happened to be on facebook and see a new post "Prayers. Prayers. Prayers. I hope that there will be counselors for our babies."  Immediately my heart sank. Had there been another school shooting? We had just lived the last month or more, glued to CNN, hanging on every word about the Sandy Hook school shootings. This couldn't possibly happen in our small little town, right? I contacted the poster and she told me what had happened.....the unthinkable....Mrs. Elaine Hewitt, principal of Erin Elementary School had been shot along with her husband and they believed that this had come at the hand of their son. Their home had also been burnt to the ground. Father God, I prayed.....why?

The next news came a few days later. The phone rang in our home and it was for Ken. As they talked I overheard Ken say "I thought I had heard sirens earlier." After hanging up, he mentioned that there had been a wreck on Main Street. Then, yet again, another posting on Facebook....."More prayers." After receiving many more phone calls, we learned that someone well known in the community, Dr. Donnie Lewis had driven out from the bank and drove under a propane truck and died. Later that evening, he was on the news. His son cried as he remembered and shared things that made his father such a special man. More sadness. A loved one gone too soon. "Jesus, Lord of mine....I do not understand," I prayed.

Then I get a text a few days later and there had been a fire in the cafeteria at Erin High School....they would be sending the kids home early. My friend went on to tell me, "God is trying to tell us something. Houston County better wake up!"  After thinking on this a while.....I decided my friend is EXACTLY right! I do indeed believe He is trying to get our attention....but maybe in a bit of a different way than my friend was thinking.

Here is my theory.....I believe that we have a loving God. I believe that He was trying to tell us:

1." It is a heartbreaking loss for this community....a school has lost their beloved principal. Two daughters have lost both of their parents and brother in one day. The house that held so many mementos...all gone! Bad weather came overnight.....there was no school for all of Houston County that day! Your little town did not endure another Sandy Hook. I watched on as all of your community gathered at the high school and crossed denominational lines and sang to Me and prayed to Me! I am still on the Throne. I do not sleep! Every child in Houston County that attends Erin Elementary will be tucked in and kissed by their parents....I'm still a very present help in times of trouble!"

2." Dr. Donnie Lewis possibly had a heart attack or some other health illness that caused him to wreck...driving under a propane truck. Had that truck exploded...it could have taken out an entire neighborhood. Your little town could have lost the bank, the funeral home, the shops, the homes in that immediate area. Dr. Lewis could have had one or more of his precious grandchildren or other family members or friends in the car with him. That didn't happen. He will be mourned and greatly missed....but, he is with Me now! Every person that was in that area, at that moment, walked away without a scratch. You all will be welcome to worship in any of the Houses of the Lord, that remain standing because the propane truck did not explode."

3. "Yes, there was a small fire at the high school in the kitchen and the sprinklers came on and ruined the lunch. Not one cafeteria worker was harmed. Every student walked out of that school alive. No burns. The ONLY thing that they left without that day was....a belly filled with school lunch."

So, it is very clear to me that God IS trying to get our attention. He is letting us know that He never promised us sunshine and rainbows for the rest of our lives. I cause My sun to rise on the evil and the good, and I send rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. What seems the loudest and the clearest to me is God is trying to make us HEAR....."I am here! You will never be forsaken! I have sent a Comforter for times such as these. Let Me be your refuge, your strength!"

Keep speaking Lord.....I will keep listening!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment