Thursday, January 17, 2013

Small Town Pain

My family and I have been blessed to live in Houston County in Tennessee for the last five almost six years. My husband is a Methodist Pastor and usually they are sent to a church for a certain amount of time and then it is time to move on at some point.

When we arrived, our little girl was four years old. Being the youngest of five children and the ONLY one left at home, we thought it was important that she be around other kids her own age. We enrolled her in the Pre K program at Erin Elementary School. It was a very exciting, yet nervous time for this mommy. Not only had we just moved to a new home she wasn't accustomed to yet...now, we were going to take her to a school and leave her where we knew not one person. She looked so tiny to us as we walked out the door....she was smiling and waving!

Ken and I were able to meet the principal that first day, Ms. Elaine Hewitt and she assured us that our baby would be fine. I can remember calling a few times to check on my little "baby" just to make sure all was well. We were blessed with the teachers that Nevaeh got in kindergarten, Ms Jessica Lyle, first grade Ms Cindy Tomlin and then 2nd grade, Ms Kim Black....who, while we love every one of these ladies, will remain the most special teacher ever in our book.

Sadly, we received the news yesterday, that Ms Elaine, her husband and son, had died in a house fire. The news has reported that "foul play" was suspected. While all of our hearts break to lose such a fine, caring principal.....parents are scrambling to explain "why" to their young children. How do we do that, when we do not even understand? Our child has been home schooled for the last two years but we have still gone to the school to teach Jr. Achievement and it has given Nevaeh, our daughter, a chance to see her friends and all of the staff that we love.

Every morning as I scroll down my facebook page reading each post, pausing to pray where requests have been made...and even where they haven't....I thank God for my "small" problems. I have been feeling a little sorry for myself lately....surgical procedures that have left me in pain....yet, not fighting for my life, yet many are. There's so much pain in so many lives....pain that is irreversible. My heart reaches out to each and every one of you, wishing that the love I feel could someone make the pain disappear.

Losing our elementary school principal has shaken our small town. It has broken our hearts. It has left hundreds of parents at a loss as to how they will comfort their children. It has left all of the precious teachers that got up this morning and prepared for school, dumbfounded as to WHAT they will say, which words  they choose to make their "sweet little babies" as Kim Black referred to her students, understand this loss.

I have no easy answers. This is what I do know.....small towns are closely knit. Everybody knows everybody! We share in joys. We share in losses. One's victory is every one's victory.....one's loss is every one's loss. We will come together. We will pray. We will hold each other. We will hold our children a little closer than before......most of all, we will take our small town pain and graciously endure it.....together!

2 comments:

  1. I saw the article yesterday and wanted to say something but knowing that all of this happened yesterday I have waited. I will say a prayer for you all. Being that it is a small community. I hope Nevaeh and you all are doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate your kind words so much! Nevaeh is doing well...she is staying very close to mommy and we are so blessed that she is a child that expresses her grief and sadness very openly!Keep us in your prayers....our little town really thrives on your prayers!

    ReplyDelete