Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Do You Know Where We Are?

"In all your ways know, recognize, and acknowledge Him, and He will direct and make straight and plain your paths." (Proverbs 3:6)

Sometimes we get some of our greatest life lessons by the most unlikely of teachers. Not too long ago, my husband and I had taken our five year old daughter, Nevaeh and had to make a trip out of town to visit a funeral home and to check on an elderly lady that was in the hospital. While we had very exact directions leading us to the funeral home, we weren't quite as fortunate in getting back on the path that led to the hospital.

Now, my husband being all things male, felt there was no need to stop and ask directions. We drove on for several minutes and he would comment ever so often, "Maybe if I turn left here and go straight..." and I just sat quietly, because even though we have only been married a little over a year...I did grow up in a home with a daddy and four brothers. So, to even hint at the dreaded "Don't you think that we should stop and ask directions?" would be a form of blasphemy! Just as I am growing increasingly frustrated, this little voice from the back seat asks her Papa....."Do you know where we are?" and Papa answered in the affirmative. Then the bombshell.......

"THEN WHY ARE WE LOST?" Wow! Ken and I both laughed, but I was already thinking of how I would write about this. I knew that there was a lesson of some sort in those five little innocent words.

In my life, there have been so many times that I thought that I knew where I was going, had a good grasp on it and was taking care of business. So, if I was so confident and thought that I was exactly where I was suppose to be, doing everything that I was suppose to be doing....why did I feel like I was struggling so hard? Could it be that I was trying to operate out of the flesh? I mean, I was serving God and I had a plan. I had pieced the plan together in my mind and decided ON MY OWN that this is what God wanted and THEN, I prayed about it. Little did I know that I had it all out of sequence. I was suppose to be ACKNOWLEDGING Him and then allowing HIM to direct my paths. That is what I love about the Amplified bible....it just lays it all out for you.

Now, I am at a stage in my life that I have grown and continue to mature in my spiritual walk and I am not so quick to jump into things. I get out of bed in the morning and I say to God immediately, "I am not going to do anything today that is not YOU. If YOU want me to do something, I am going to put all my trust and faith in YOU and know that YOU will direct my path. Thank YOU Father for the Holy Spirit.....it is all about YOU!"

When my sweet little girl uttered those five little words, she had no idea that God was using her as a teacher on that particular day. As I write this, I grow excited thinking of the day that she will read this and know that I heard God speak through her and I listened. In order to be obedient to God, we have to be quiet and listen. Thankfully on this day, I kept my mouth closed (yet another shout out to the Holy Spirit for telling me to be quiet) and my ears open and allowed myself to be taught....He will always direct your path!

No comments:

Post a Comment