Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Silent Prayer

I was told by a very special woman that I hold in the highest regard, that she sat through a sermon once and the preacher actually said that "silent prayers go no where." Well, just to be fair, she is a little older and she thought that perhaps she had heard him wrong, but was quite upset by the remark as she was oft times a very private and silent prayer. When she returned from church, she contacted her attorney son and asked him what she had heard and he could tell that his mother was quite distressed. He assured his mother that this was not true and though it relieved her some, she did leave the church.

As I was reading my bible last night, I came across the story of Hannah. She was married to a man, Elkanah and she was one of his two wives. The other wife had bore him children, but, alas, Hannah had not. In this story, it seems that Elkanah had a deep love for Hannah and she prayed constantly for a child even promising her God that she would gladly turn her son over to Him all the days of her young son's life, if God would just bless her with a child.

Hannah was in the temple praying one day and Eli, the priest noticed that here was this woman and he could see her lips moving but NO SOUND was coming from them. 1 Samuel 1:13 tells us that "Hannah was praying in her heart, and her lips were moving but her voice was not heard." Eli thought that perhaps she was drunk. She had to tell the priest that she was praying!

How many times have you been driving in the rain and silently prayed that God would get you through all the traffic, accident free? I have numerous times. When your child has just dangled on your last nerve, how many times have you silently prayed to God to help you maintain a semblence of control? My hand is raised again! I can quote you hundreds of times that my own mother has silently prayed over things and gotten answers from God.

If we go back to the story of Hannah, early in the chapter it tells us that God had closed her womb. Later, as she lay with her husband, it also tells us that "..the Lord remembered her." (vs. 19) Now, if silent prayer goes no where....HOW did God remember her prayer and what she had asked for? Did Hannah indeed get pregnant and give birth to a son? Yes, she did! If God closed her womb, isn't it only reasonable for we christians to believe that HE was the one that reopened it! Hannah was quick to give the Lord the glory..."I prayed for this child, and the Lord has granted me what I asked of Him." (1 Samuel 1:27)

I am and have always been a person that prayer is a very personal thing. I enjoy praying and think that I have a good prayer relationship with my Father. I am not always eloquent in speech and have felt uncomfortable praying out loud in front of a large group of people. "But when you, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you." (Matthew 6:6) It stands to reason that if my omnipotent God "sees" all that is done in secret, then He most assureedly HEARS what is said in silence. I will go so far as to challenge this particular pastor.....If you or any other christian is THINKING an impure thought and you do not VERBALIZE it....does God hear that? I somehow do not believe that He is just going to let it slide if it is thought or said in silence.

Does God hear silent prayers? You bet He does. There are a lot of times when we are so full, or just have no idea what to say.....He knows our hearts. "We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that WORDS CANNOT EXPRESS. (emphasis mine!) Romans 8:26

Pray! Pray! Pray! Be it silent or on your knees with your hands raised to heaven and shouting out your words...or silently in a closet.....HE HEARS!

No comments:

Post a Comment