Monday, May 25, 2009

The Lifter Of My Head

I was watching Oprah today and to be perfectly honest, it is not a show that I normally watch. I do not have anything against Oprah....just not one of my favorite shows! If I were going to be 100% honest, I would say that I tune into the Maury show most afternoons at 4 p.m. That show is beyond crazy and so full of theatrics, that it is morbid entertainment. I just sit and ask myself over and over, "They have to be getting paid to go on national tv and act like that." (On the other hand, I detest the Jerry Springer Show. Let's face it, that show is like a circus on crack!)

Anyway, the show today was about a family, parents and children each, addicted to heroin. So sad to watch the parents drive 100 miles to score some dope. They could not find anyone to watch their little 13 month old child, so they took him along. They had once owned a beautiful home and cars. The mother said that she had always gone each week and had her hair done and always had her nails done. Now, they had lost all of the "finer things in life." The parents also had two teenaged boys and they, too, were addicted to heroin. They were living in a shelter and yet, somehow, they were still going out daily scoring dope. They had a determination every day of their lives. They woke up, they hungered for heroin and they were sick until they got some.

Today, we got more bad news. While Ken has been prepared to go back to the pulpit on Sunday, we were blindsided by a phone call that threatens to stop that. My first impulse was to lash out at the unfairness and the injustice of it all. Instead, I grabbed a book that I love by Joyce Meyer entitled, "The Secret Power of Speaking God's Word." It was a gift from Joyce Meyer Ministries and it is a little book filled with God's Word that I carry in my purse and from room to room with me. When I speak God's Word aloud in times of trouble, it reminds me of summertime when a pesky fly zzzzz's around my head and I swat it away....I am making the enemy get away from me. Who is the enemy? That is irrelevant. I know what Satan is trying to accomplish. I refuse to give in. I am relentless.

The first question that came to mind was, "What do I say to the church now?" They have been so excited with Ken returning. KEN has been excited about returning. I opened my little book and read..."You, O Lord, are a shield for me, my glory and the lifter of my head." -Psalm 3:3 I refuse to hang my head and worry and allow the thief to come and kill God's plan for my future. The thief will not steal my joy and the thief will not kill my hope. I will continue to go before the throne BOLDLY and ask as a right to my inheritance, for God to get me through this and whatever else He needs for me to do. I will finish the course. There have been times throughout all of this that I have felt discouraged, but thank God, I am finished with the old wilderness mentality. I am finished going around that mountain!

I guess by now you are wondering what the family on Oprah has to do with all of this. I watched each of their faces and felt their total despair. They felt that their only option for happiness was heroin. I praised God for my "drug of choice" to bring me through every obstacle in my life. My wonderful God. I do NOT have to hang my head.....God is the LIFTER OF MY HEAD!

No comments:

Post a Comment