Wednesday, May 27, 2009

No Such Thing As Minor Victories!

It has been my goal of late, to discern when it is God that is speaking to me. I am seeking to hear and know HIS voice and trying to make better choices. Most of all, I want to know that I am hearing HIM and obeying.

Today, I needed to go into town and shop for gifts that our Sunday school class will be giving to a group of people that we will be having a party for on Monday. The gifts needed to be wrapped and ready at church on Sunday. I had volunteered to do the shopping last week and then Monday hit and it has been a crazy whirlwind all week. So, this morning, I set out alone (thought I'd get finished faster if the little five year old was home) and pointed the car in the direction of Clarksville. There was a little voice that kept saying "Go to the WalMart in Waverly." I have been there before, but usually ventured into Clarksville because that is where my family is and I could stop and visit after I finish errands.

Trying to be obedient, I decided to listen to the voice and headed towards Waverly. As I drove, I had a very pleasant and uninterrupted conversation with God. There were so many things laid on my heart...old grudges that I had been holding onto, unforgiveness of others and even some anger issues that if not let go of, could turn me into a not so nice person. I noticed all of the nature on the way and just felt so in tuned with God.

I went to the WalMart, got everything that I needed and left, ready to make the trip back home. However, the ever small voice told me to take a trip on up the road and I did. I stopped at a yard sale and bought nothing, but did ask the man if there was a McDonald's in Waverly and he gave me some directions. I have never been very comfortable driving around in places that I haven't been before. I followed the directions and was pleased to find not only a McDonald's, but a Sonic, Kentucky Fried Chicken and a Chinese restaurant. I grew very excited. While I am sure that we all would agree, these are not fancy places to eat or anything, I felt that this was a minor victory for me. I was thrilled. I found that I was not in the least afraid to explore. I did not feel alone.
I didn't really understand why I was feeling so euphoric as I drove home. I had just gone out and ran a few errands like I had countless other times, but today felt different. The closer I got to home, I began to realize that God had spoken to my heart and I had listened. God had asked a very little thing of me....to go to Waverly instead of Clarksville. The scripture that came to mind was..."He who is faithful in a very little [thing] is faithful also in much.." (Luke 16:10) Each time I conquer a little thing that God gives me, I become more empowered and I garner this strength that readies me for the next thing that God has in store.

There is NO such thing as a minor victory in God's eyes. Every small act of obedience is great in HIS eyes! It has taken me a long time to just be still and listen for God's voice and even longer to take heed, but at last, I am getting there. He's been speaking to me all along, I was just not prepared to HEAR. To many, this may be just a short drive that I took today to one place instead of another, but God and I know, that there was nothing minor about today.

"Let be and be still, and know (recognize and understand) that I am God" (Psalm 46:10)

No comments:

Post a Comment